The Yemen College of Middle Eastern Studies, accredited by the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, hosts scholars planning to conduct research in the Republic of Yemen. YCMES assists with travel (international and in-country), lodging, facilitates, and appointments with local organizations, ministries, and officials. The College also helps scholars obtain the necessary travel and research permits.
Services Provided by YCMES
- Yemeni Visa: YCMES will obtain visas for visiting researchers. This costs for $85 or $170 for an extended stay.
- Housing: YCMES provides its sponsored researchers with comfortable, furnished living arrangements in its Guest House. Rates depend on special requests and duration; single and shared rooms are available.
- Arabic lessons are available for any skill level or subject concentration.
- Airport Pick-Up:YCMES will provide free airport pick-up and drop-off for any researcher staying at YCMES accommodations. This can be arranged for researchers with their own accommodations for a $25 fee.
- Domestic Travel: YCMES arranges domestic travel within Yemen.
Some research scholars we have hosted:
James Esdaile: Transition to Independence: A Study of Social Networks
- Harvard University (USA) PhD Research
Anoush Suni: Gender Perceptions in Yemeni Society
- Pomona College (USA) Undergraduate Thesis
Anja Nadine Mayer: Socotra Island Preservation
- Friedrich Alexander University of Erlanger-Nurenberg (Germany) Masters student
Fernando Carvajal: Tribal-state relations in post-1962 Northern Yemen
- University of Exeter (UK) Doctoral student
Please email the following documents to email@example.com:
- Completed Research Application Form (download here), YCMES also asks for the following documents:
- Proposal of Research: In 500 words or less, give a description of your research, including goals, objectives, your preparedness to undertake the research, methods of obtaining information.
- Current Resume or CV
- Provide two letters of recommendation of an academic nature stating academic affiliation and approval of your proposed research, one letter should be from a supervising faculty member at your home university or institution. If you are using Arabic as a means of conducting research, one recommendation should be from an Arabic referee.
- Research Processing Fee: This $200, or €150fee should be included with your application and includes travel arrangements, a month of library privileges, and a discounted rate on Arabic language study.
- Research Membership: Researchers planning to stay for more than a month must purchase a YCMES Research Center Membership for $200, or €150. This membership provides its holder with year-long library privileges and Arabic language study discounts.